Redoutey pursued testing propagating Bordine’s most popular annual bedding plants and perennials including Begonia, Petunia, Geranium, and Vinca under Philips GreenPower LED toplighting. He compared test results against historical data of propagating the same plants under high pressure sodium (HPS) fixtures and natural sunlight.
When compared to HPS, the results of the four-week LED toplighting trial included:
- More compact growth when examining and measuring to the height of the apical point
- Increased basal, vegetative bud development without the use of PGRs
- Faster root development allowing for earlier transplanting•
- Prominent pigmentation particularly in geranium leaves
- Leaves were sturdier and tougher to the touch indicating healthier growth
Of the results of the LED toplighting trial, Redoutey said, “Just about everything about the results surprised me. I’m now a big believer in the Philips LEDs.”