You are now visiting our Global professional lighting website, visit your local website by going to the USA website

Transforming
shopping experiences

Globus
Saarbrücken, Germany


One of Germany’s top retailers is using LED lighting to create a distinctive shopping experience for its customers and boosting sales in their promotional area.

In this project
with Philips we

succeeded in driving shoppers to certain products and in increasing sales."

 

- Mr. Scheller, Store Manager Globus Saarbrücken-Güdingen

Smart supermarket lighting system StoreWise controlled by app
Smart supermarket lighting system StoreWise controlled by app

Customer Challenge

 

Established in 1828, Globus is a retail chain of hypermarkets and electronics stores that prides itself on customer service. The chain’s Saarbrucken, Germany location wanted to improve its store by providing a unique shopping experience for its customers, and more specifically, to create more excitement and attention in the promotions department.

Globus supermarket soft pastel up-lights blue

The right lighting

 

Globus partnered with Philips Lighting to implement and research three different lighting scenarios using the StoreWise system in the promotional areas of the store. The first lighting scenario mimicked the effects of the current lighting: a uniform lighting design as a baseline for the research. The second focused on accent lighting, and utilized spotlights to highlight certain items and create contrast. The third combined both spotlighting and colored up-lights. By using pastel up-lights, the colors not only played into shopper emotions, but also increased the visibility of the promotional area from a distance. These three different light settings were scheduled using StoreWise to alternate over the days in a two-month period.

 

During this two-month period, Globus tracked customers with sensors in their carts, counted the number of customers spending time in the promotional area and analyzed sales data. In conjuction with DFKI (German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence) Philips Lighting conducted research into how these lighting scenarios affected the numbers of shoppers entering the promotional area, the duration of their visit and sales.

The results were positive on different levels for each scenario. Compared to the first scenario with uniform lighting, the second scenario with spotlighting increased the number of people entering the promotional area by 7%. With the soft pastel up-lights scenario, an additional 8% of shoppers entered the promotional area – so a total of 15% more people entered the promotional area compared to the first scenario with uniform lighting. 


The store manager was especially happy with the third lighting scenario, as it included the popular spotlighting in addition to the soft past colored up-lights, resulting in a spectacular 6% sales increase in addition to the 15% increase in customer traffic. 


Globus was satisfied with the pilot’s success and the store’s management team is more confident than ever that they can truly influence shopper behavior with the power of lighting.

Influencing shopper behavior

Philips StoreWise

 

Designed just for retail, Philips’ StoreWise system combines the best of LED and controls in a flexible package to help deliver cost savings, adjust lighting to every day demands, and create a better, more engaging customer experience.

More about the system

eataly

Where visionaries meet luminaries 

 

Every innovator needs an expert. Here we bring together the latest ideas from retail’s most visionary leaders, thinkers and technical experts to spark your ideas and guide your strategy.

More about retail trends and latest thinking

Transforming
shopping experiences

The team

Globus Saarbrücken-Güdingen

Client

DFKI (German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence)

Research Center

eit Digital

Digital innovation and entrepreneurial education 

Related cases